Sometimes life isn’t fair. No one ever promised anyone that it would be. The breaks go your way, then you can’t catch a lucky break for what seems like forever.
First things first – get real with yourself. You know that there have been times in your life when you didn’t deserve to win and you did. And there are times when it was yours for the taking and something unbelievable happened and you lost.
The important thing is not to allow the tough beats to consume you. When you put that losing energy out there, more of it is likely to come to you.
So what to do when it seems like the lucky stars are shining everywhere but on you? It’s easy. Follow these steps to get back on the winning path.
Five Steps to Get Back on Track
- Stop Whining – Take a couple of minutes to wallow in pity, but after that put an end to it. You can never move forward when you are stuck in neutral. Do what it takes to get going again.
- Analyze – Learn from what went wrong. There is a lesson in every defeat, and if you don’t find it you are missing a perfect opportunity to advance your skills. Figure out what needed to happen for you to win, and then work on that if possible. Remember, sometimes bad beats are just that. If there is nothing to learn, move on, knowing that these things even out in the long run.
- Regroup – Take time to remember why you are doing this. Whatever it is, it should be important enough to you that when you aren’t getting the results you want, you still can’t imagine giving up. There is no such thing as failure. Sometimes you just produce unintended results. If you want it bad enough, figure out how you can get better so you can accomplish it.
- Take Action – Don’t wait too long before you try again. Inertia is the enemy. Once you have learned as much as you can from the setback, get back at it. Don’t wait for the perfect moment, because it gets more difficult to start again as time goes by. Take a small step towards getting back in the game.
- Focus on the Wins – Any progress forward is a win. Even if you still aren’t getting the ultimate prize, if you get a little closer every time then that is a win. Keep the momentum going and stay focused on the outcome.
What to do after these five steps? Repeat them until you get what you want. Don’t give up. You might be one try away from winning it all, and if you give up now you will never know what could have been.